It is essential to thoroughly dry the structure following any water intrusion event. Many mold growth incidents are a direct but unintended result of incomplete structural drying following a water loss.
Structural drying is the process of returning all building materials such as wood, cement and drywall to the moisture content levels of similar materials in unaffected areas of the structure.
- As we inspect a property that has mold and are looking for the root causes, we will find indications that are verified through the demolition phase
- The need for structural drying will vary greatly based on the unwanted moisture found
- Sometimes referred to as the ‘dry-out’ period, this phase requires an understanding of the relationship between moisture content, relative humidity, temperature, outside weather conditions and the existing building materials within the structure
- We will rely on the science during this portion of your mold recovery plan to achieve acceptable dry-out standards and measurements and take the time to explain how the science works and what we are doing to attain these results
- To accomplish these objectives, we utilize the methods of extraction, controlled disassembly, air flow management and dehumidification while monitoring the environment in and outside the work areas
- A variety of equipment is used, but each piece has a purpose and supports the others in drying the structure
- Drying out a structure can be predictable when adequate preparation occurs, inspections are thorough, elevated moisture is mapped, work areas are defined and contained, controlled demolition is completed and required equipment is used, set and monitored
- During this phase, multiple inspections, measurements and readings will take place to achieve acceptable dry-out standards
- Once achieved, a final phase inspection will be conducted to confirm that drying equipment can be cleaned and removed, and cleaning procedures can begin
- At the end of each workday all floors associated with access points outside of containments will be vacuumed to remove all dust and small debris particles